Thank you for tuning in to Episode 103 of the Down Cellar Studio Podcast. This week’s segments included:
- Off the Needles
- On the Needles
- From the Armchair
- Crafty Adventures
- Knitting in Passing
- In my Travels
- KAL News
- Life in Focus
- Ask Me Anything
- On a Happy Note
- Pigskin Party KAL
- Quote of the Week
Off the Needles
- Pattern: Christmas Stockings to Knit and Crochet by Family Circle (originally in November 1977 magazine) Was reprinted in 90’s.
- Hook: F (3.75 mm)
- Yarn: Paton’s Classic Wool- Bright Red.
- Hook: F (3.75 mm)
- Yarn: Berroco Vintage from Riley’s 2015 Christmas mittens
- Pattern: Spacious OMG
- Yarn: Regia Jean Style Color
- Needles: US 1.5 (2.5 mm)
- Basket #4 this season
- Black and red with sparkles
- Yarn: Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick and Quick
- No handles on this one
- Hook: I (5.5mm)
- Pattern: Wintertide Headband by Elena Hunt (free)
- Yarn: Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick and Quick- charcoal gray heather
- Whipped up in less than an hour
- Found a cool black button in my stash. Super fun! Quick gift
- Yarn: Cascade 220 superwash + Loops & Thread Impeccable
- Hook: C (2.75 mm)
- No pattern
Christmas Dress and Headband for Giraffe Mommy
- Hook: J
- Yarn: cream and gold acrylic from Target
- No pattern (similar to the purple one she’s wearing below)
- Pattern: Yoki the Dragon Amigurumi by Mariska Vos-Bolman ($5)- buy 4 get one free deal no code needed
- Hook: C (2.75 mm)
- Yarn: Knit Picks Wool of the Andes
- More advanced pattern- all pieces crocheted separately and added on
On the Needles
- Yarn: Legacy Fiber Arts in the Steel Toes base. Colorway: Sue Says So
- Needles: US 1.5 for ribbing and US 2 for body
- Pattern: None. Cast on 56 with US 1.5 needles. Switch to US 2 after ribbing. Knit one inch then increased to 60 stitches. 16 inches long for Riley who is 8 years old.
- Yarn: Ross Farm Shetland 3 ply sport
- Needles: US 8
- Pattern: New design, half hexagon shape like My Own Backyard
Christmas Knitting/Crochet plans:
- DONE- headband for co-worker using the Wintertide Headband pattern
- DONE- Dragon for Will using Yoki the Dragon pattern
- Unicorns for Ella and Carina using Shy Little Unicorn Pattern — got great deals on Black Friday so will save this for their birthdays,
- Washcloths I found 11 I made during Stash Dash
- Oisin needed a toy, but I found an alien I crocheted last year!
- Left to do:
- Shawl for Gram- in progress
- Outfits for Riley’s doll (made last year)
- Mittens for Riley- barely started- will chat more about them next time…
- Aila- kitty using kitty ballerina pattern from Etsy
- Bella- penguin using a pattern gifted to me by Joy- Happyfox24
- Nana, Kris and Megg crochet basket- may only make 1, we’ll see
- Garret- ninjas– white one
- Ice cream coozie for Matt
- New: Triple Luxe Cowl for Gail (if don’t get completely finished its ok)- recording 12/8 — 14 days… still going to be interesting
- poncho (Azel pullover by Heidi May)
- Anna dolla (from Kit) for Millie
12 Months to Christmas KAL
- 12 Months to Christmas FO Thread
- 12 Months to Christmas Chat Thread
- over 300 entries so far! Don’t forget to get in your November and December entries. Even if you haven’t participated all year- doesn’t matter. still have a shot to win.
12 Months to Christmas KAL Prizes!
Pigskin Party ’16
- Wondering what this crazy KAL is? Check out this page which gives you the best overview with all necessary links.
- Check out the RulesCheck out the Rules but if you still have questions, come over to the Questions thread and ask. We’re happy to help.
- Put your Name on the Roster then claim your spot in the End Zone Dance Thread
- Continue to update this with all of the points you earn during the KAL
- Check out our amazing sponsorsCheck out our amazing sponsors.
- Find the coupons here.
- Some of our Pro Shop Level Sponsors will be creating exclusive items for Pigskin Party participants. They may come out at different times and will likely be limited in quantities, so keep your eyes on this Exclusive Items thread in the group for all the latest news
- Scope out the prizes!
- Don’t forget to use #DCSPigskinParty2016 on Instagram so we check out what you’re doing and you can be eligible for participation prizes.
- Want to make sure you know the latest news about the Interceptions, swaps and other fun challenges throughout the Pigskin Party? Stay tuned to the Sidelines Games thread in the Ravelry Group.
Thank you to our Pro Shop Sponsors!
- Berry Colorful Yarnings
- Bijou Basin Ranch
- Daizie Knits
- Fair Winds Farm
- Fiber Nymph Dye Works
- Knit Life Designs
- Knitcircus Yarns
- Knitters Brewing Company
- Knitty Kitty Bags
- Lilliput Yarn
- Media Peruana Designs
- One Geek To Craft Them All
- Pearl and Plum
- Plum Deluxe Tea
- Prairie Bag Works
- Sun Valley Fibers
- Sunsoaked Yarns
- The Yarn Sellar
- Yarn Geek Fibers
Key Details Mentioned in this Episode
- #BigBadBergAlong has come to a close. Winners announced!
- Berry Colorful Yarnings Self-Striping Interception closed. Winners announced!
- Still running:
- Announced November Interception Prizes
- Vogue Knitting Live- NYC January 13-15, 2017
- Mini Skein Swap in the Ravelry group. Will be open until December 10th
Life in Focus
In this episode I talked about managing eating well and how I find balance during the holiday season. I mentioned the most recent episode of the Happier Podcast which I found really timely (re: “Not Treating Yourself” and Planned Exceptions)
Ask Me Anything
This week I answered a question from Donna (ZoSew) regarding changing yarns and colors in crochet.
On a Happy Note
- The first part of this audio was recorded with my 8 year old niece Riley who asked if we could record together!
- I managed to lose 1.4 pounds during Thanksgiving week which feels like a huge win. Part of that was exercise for sure including this beautiful walk on Thanksgiving morning.
- SO much fun on the dirt bikes. After Riley and I recorded I took a try! Video on Instagram.
- Megg, Tom, Em and Oisin stayed for dinner/Pats game. Megg kitchenered the two toes on her very first pair of socks! They came out great.
- Gilmore Girls reboot on Netflix!
- Got most of my shopping done Black Friday (with Mom!!) and Cyber Monday!
- Lavash pizza with roasted tomatoes & basil and Trader Joe’s cinnamon almonds. Obsessed!!
- Will and AIla’s annual Christmas! Sleepover
Quote of the Week
“Before you call someone lazy or judge them, try to imagine their perspective, beliefs, and abilities and forget yours. That is, respond with curiosity and empathy. When you do, I predict you’ll find yourself understanding their choices. You may not like their beliefs and choices, but you’ll understand them.”
After the credits, stay tuned for a bit of audio of my niece Millie (1 year ago at age 3 1/2) telling a joke.. that isn’t really a joke- it’s a DISASTER!!!
Thank you for tuning in!