Thank you for tuning in to Episode 107 of the Down Cellar Studio Podcast. This week’s segments included:
- Off the Needles
- On the Needles
- From the Armchair
- KAL News
- Contest, News & Notes
- Life in Focus
- On a Happy Note
- Quote of the Week
Off the Needles
- Pattern: Sunwalker by Melanie Berg
- Yarn: Sun Valley Fibers MCS (Merino Cashmere Silk) Fingering in Kensington Colorway
- Needles: US 5 (3.75 mm)
- Made it smaller than originally called for. Notes from this Ravelry Project Page as my guide.
- Did garter stitch for body instead of textured stitch.
- Yarn: Cascade 220 Superwash in brown & red
- Hook: C (2.75mm)
- Pattern: none
- Eyes & Nose from: 6060 on Etsy
- Yarn: Berry Colorful Yarnings- self striping
- Needles: US 1 (2.25 mm)
- Pattern: OMG Heel Sock by Megan Williams
- Yarn: Knitters Brewing Company Sockaholic Fingering weigh yarn in Bruins Tailgate Party Colorway
- Pattern: None- see project page for details.
- Needles: US 5 & 6
On the Needles
- Yarn: KFI Luxury Collection (MCN)- Color 604
- Needles: US 2 (2.75mm)
- Pattern: OMG heel 52 stitches
- Pattern: Journey by Alina Schneider $7
- Yarn: Yarn Geek Fibers Whiz Bang (merino/bamboo worsted weight)
- Needles: US 6 (4.0 mm)
- Yarn: Bergere de France Goomy 50- Imprim Ciel Colorway
- US 1 (2.0mm) needles
- Pattern: OMG Heel
- Pattern: Instructions from this tutorial
- Yarn: leftover sock yarn
- Hook: D 3.25 mm
From the Armchair
- Teaknits Podcast video podcast hosted by Lauren (available on YouTube)
- Keep Calm and Carry Yarn Podcast hosted by Vivian and Alyson audio podcast available on iTunes & YouTube.
- Cohesive Home Podcast – audio podcast hosted by Kate & Melissa. Focusing on minimalism, slow, values based living, creativity, goal setting.
- Nourishing Real Talk – audio podcast hosted by Lindsey and Jenna. “Space for fearlessly authentic women and multi-passionate entrepreneurs who are all about living their lives and doing business on their own terms.”
First Quarter Prizes:
- Declare a WIP from 2016 or earlier within the first 5 days of the month, posting a photo of it in the thread. Finish the project by the end of the month, update your post with your FO photo and you’ll be eligible to win a Ravelry downloadable pattern of your choosing up to $8.
Pigskin Party ’16
- Wondering what this crazy KAL is? Check out this page which gives you the best overview with all necessary links.
- Scope out the prizes!
Thank you to our Pro Shop Sponsors!
- Berry Colorful Yarnings
- Bijou Basin Ranch
- Daizie Knits
- Fair Winds Farm
- Fiber Nymph Dye Works
- Knit Life Designs
- Knitcircus Yarns
- Knitters Brewing Company
- Knitty Kitty Bags
- Lilliput Yarn
- Media Peruana Designs
- One Geek To Craft Them All
- Pearl and Plum
- Plum Deluxe Tea
- Prairie Bag Works
- Sun Valley Fibers
- Sunsoaked Yarns
- The Yarn Sellar
- Yarn Geek Fibers
Key Details Mentioned in this Episode–
- Check out the Sponsor Love Thread in our Ravelry Group. Tell us about your favorite Pigskin Party sponsors and be entered to win prizes.
- Announced the Knit Knight Designs Interception Winners
- Announced winners of the Bail Money for Greg Interception
Contests, News and Notes
World of Difference Shawl– my new shawl is available on Ravelry! Purchase it within the first 2 weeks and get it for 50% off! No coupon code required.
Life in Focus
- I gave a final recap of my experience focusing on Minimalism in January (experiences > stuff)
- Slow Home Podcast: Does Slow Living Have a Branding Problem?
February: Memory keeping
- Determine a sustainable plan for documenting memories through scrapbooking (paper and/or digital) in a creative, sharable way that doesn’t overwhelm me.
- Find, print and hang more photos in our home.
- I scrapbooked 2005-2009 of my life and then again for part of 2013. I am so grateful to have documented the stories of that time in my life, especially as my nieces and nephews were born. I want to fill in the gaps and document those stories before I lose them. Kids were still so little then. So many cute photos, memories, milestones. funny things they said.
- I have boxes of photos & memorabilia my mother thoughtful saved for me. I want to organize it and purge what I don’t want and find a system for making this into something worth saving and sharing.
- I want to remember and celebrate my life. I want to share stories with my family and pass along wisdom where I can.
What I’ve done so far
- Identify an approach- Stacy Julian, Library of Memories approach combined with Project Life divided page protectors
- Sort through childhood memorabilia based on these categories
- Assess finished scrapbooks.
- Sort through emails and journals. Momento app all to pull social media.
- Reorganize 2014 photos already printed into LOM approach. Started scrapbooking them!
- Working on Project Life App for 2017 and 2016 pho
Websites + Blogs
On A Happy Note
- 3 point protein shake — Almond Breeze Almond/Coconut Blend Milk (unsweetened), 1 scoop Whole Foods Vanilla Protein Powder, 2 tbsp PB2
- Idea of being kind to your future self. I heard about this on the Happier podcast- Episode 101
- Click here for the Wil Wheaton blog post
- I’ve been setting a weekly agenda in Evernote and it’s helping me achieve more each week.
- Women’s March Boston!
- I celebrated a belated Christmas with my niece Emelyn and nephew Oisin. They made me yarn ball tree and decorated frames for their school photos!
- Ice skating with friends!
- Going through my toys-ponies, barbies etc! Millie playing with my Barbies!
- Garret playing with his new dirt bike!
- We went to a friend’s for dinner! Their daughter singing and dancing kept us entertained for hours!
- Google photos app
- Mom and Jeffs birthday dinner and family Karaoke!
Quote of the Week
Jane Goodall said: “You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you. What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.”