Thank you for tuning in to Episode 87 of the Down Cellar Studio Podcast. This week’s segments included:
- Off the Needles
- On the Needles
- From the Armchair
- Crafty Adventures
- Knitting in Passing
- Contest, News & Notes
- Ask Me Anything
- On a Happy Note
Special thanks to Mom for joining me this week!
Off the Needles
- Yarn: Regia Design line by Arne & Carlos— self patterning, greys, blues, yellow/green Colorway 02460
- Needles: US 1.5 (2.5 mm)
- Pattern: OMG by Megan Williams
On the Needles
- Yarn: Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock Lightweight in Light at the End of the Tunnel Colorway
- Needles: US 1.5 (2.5 mm)
- Pattern: OMG by Megan Williams
- Yarn: KnitCircus Yarn Greatest of Ease base in the Come What May Colorway & Regia All Times Color in the Stable Colorway
- Needles: US 1.5 (2.5mm)
- Pattern: OMG Heel Sock by Megan Williams
- Tune in to hear my thoughts on how my first toe-up experience went!
Dragonfly Fibers Shawl
- Yarn: Dragonfly Fibers
- Needles: US 7 (4.5mm)
- Pattern: a new design I’m working on. Shape: Half Hexagonal with elongated edges. Simple body with an edging that I’m still perfecting.
- Needles: US 7 (4.5mm)
- Yarn: Ashton Studio Arts (2 colors, light peach to bright salmon), Fiberstory Fave Sock in Sterling Colorway, Patons Kroy 4 ply in Gentry Gray (charcoal)
- Pattern: New Shawl Design I inadvertently started after initially thinking I’d keep it simple… I messed up the shape and some of the stitch patterns and yet its all coming together nicely!
From the Armchair
This week I talked about some new/new to me podcasts I’ve been enjoying
- Misery Loves Company with Alicia Love (you can see Alicia in this Toyota Commercial or find her on Facebook)- this is a non-knitting audio podcast. Alicia and Lady D are very funny!
- Dye Another Day (on YouTube) hosted by Christina (dyer behind The Cozy Knitter on Etsy) & Amanda (the dyer behind the Yarn Enabler on Etsy).
- Knitorious Podcast (on YouTube) Kellie and Kari are the hosts and I think they’re really amusing.
- Mom jumped in here to note that you all may not have my wacky sense of humor (do you like the new Cookie Monster commercial? I think its hysterical!) but usually people enjoy my recommendations…
- Jenn Sheelen podcast (on YouTube) Jenn’s website and blog
- Ordered blank puzzles from Amazon. 12 puzzles (63 pieces each) for $13.99 and painted 2 of them. I put stars on the back of one and hearts on the back of the other so the kids knew which puzzle was which. It would have worked better if I printed a photo of what the finished puzzle would look like. Also, it works best if you paint with very thin layers of acrylic paint. I put 2-3 puzzle pieces in the yellow eggs and the kids hunted for these along with the standard money/candy eggs
- I decorated a frame/memory holder for Emelyn’s birthday gift. Mom chimed in with old stories of my using post-it notes in my room to vent about my teenage angst. You’re welcome!
Knitting in Passing
- I wanted to chat back about some of the awesome comments and chatter from last episode when I was talking about Frankensocks and how to join yarn. Come check out the chatter in the Episode 86 Chatter Thread in the Down Cellar Studio Podcast Ravelry Group.
- SeeEmZee suggested Russian Join: video tutorial
- Knitonepugtoo posted a link to Back to Back Join Tutorial from Tech Knitting blog which I haven’t had a chance to try out yet but I want to.
- iHeartCraft mentioned the magic knot which I do like but I’ve heard it can come undone with superwash and that a friend’s sock has unraveled… so be a little cautious with that.
- I’m using the Clasp Weft join which I’ve created a video to show you. Check it out here.
- Had a request from HollysHens on IG to compare/review Fish Lips Kiss Heel versus OMG heel but I haven’t done FLK. I will try to do that soon so I can share more about it.
12 Months to Christmas KAL
- 12 Months to Christmas FO Thread
- 12 Months to Christmas Chat Thread
- In May, we’ll pull for some more winners.
- Skein of fingering from Western Sky Knits. Magnolia Sock in the Colorway Dark Night
- Pattern from Kino Knits: Maribou
- Victorian Yuletide Ornament pattern by Jenn Sheelen
Splash Pad Party 2016 Announcement
Planning a KAL/CAL that will run from June 1-31st called Splash Pad Party KAL!
Gist of how to play
- Take advantage of small periods of time and warm weather to work on small projects poolside, outside or wherever. Earn entries for finished projects between 50-200g (Round up/down using your judgement). No need to specifically weigh skeins if you don’t have access or don’t want to. If you use the majority of a 50g, 100g, 200g skein count it.
- WIPs started before June 1st are eligible as long as they are finished before July 31st
We are recruiting sponsors for this KAL- check this out ASAP to get signed up!
- I have only a few Pro Shop level spots left and need to have all sponsors finalized by April 18th in order to have everything ready for the recording of the first episode in May. I like to give my sponsors a lot of air time and make sure our participants know how to find you, and that’s why there will be a cut off for sponsors
How to enter to win prizes
- For every 50 grams you get 1 entry into the Summer Celebration Thread (for FOs)- 1 entry for 50g, 2 entries for 100g, 3 for 150g, 4 for 200g which is the max.
- 1 extra entry if you use a Snack Shack product– so for example if yarn company X is a snack shack sponsor and you use their product (even if you owned it before the KAL) you get 1 extra extra
- 2 extra entries if you use Pro Shop product
- 1 extra entry if you use one of the Exclusive items offered for sale to KAL participants.
- You’ll put all of the details about your FO in the first post (say its post #10 in the Summer Celebration Thread) then from there if you’re eligible for 6 extra entries you’ll just post 6 more times and say “post 2” “post 3” etc.
- Post on Instagram with the hashtag (to be determined)– will also get you chances to win
- Chatter threads in Down Cellar Studio Ravelry group
- Those who purchase 1 or more sponsor products will be eligible for the Country Club. Everyone else is eligible to join the Community Pool. Open Swim Thread for all.
- Depending on how many participants we have, we’ll have teams/clubs you can participate in (examples– Community Pool, Swim Team etc ) and will have challenges during the KAL where teams will face off to earn more entries to win.
More specifics to come, but keep it in mind!
Contest News and Notes
- To celebrate 4 years of podcasting and the fact that I have 4 designs available on Ravelry, I am going to giveaway 4 of each of my designs in the next 4 episodes. This time, you can be entered to win a copy of my Tan House Brook Shawl pattern (for you or I can gift it to a friend) by entering in the contest thread in the Down Cellar Studio Podcast Ravelry Group.
- I pulled a winner of the Masterpiece Knits ebook/yarn contest. Tune in to see if you won!
- KnitCircus Yarn has kindly offered to giveaway of their Gradient Stripes Sock Sets. Since I’m loving mine so much they thought you might like to try it too! Come over to this thread the Ravelry Group, answer prompt and be entered to win.
Ask Me Anything
- TalesofYarn asked: “How about yarny recommendations for Boston visitors? I’m going to be in Boston on business in mid July, and am hoping to get a chance to do at least a bit of sight seeing while I’m there.”
- I talked about three local places I often go. Tune in for details
On a Happy Note
- We had a love Easter, including the annual Easter egg hunt & our new 6-pack swap (for the grown ups…. though we need to enlist some kids to help find them)
- I have been loving the frozen black bean and corn enchiladas from Trader Joe’s. They are only $2.29, very filling and don’t taste like processed food. I love that they have very minimal packaging too!
- I got some flat wooden spools/bobbins on sale at Michaels (brand: Recollections | item: Thread Holder) for $1.29 for a package of 10. I think these are great for mini skeins of up to 6-7 grams. Here’s a similar product on Etsy.
- Dan and I had Emelyn sleepover while her parents did a room renovation to surprise her! Then we saw she & Aila in Sleeping Beauty and had a birthday party for Emelyn and Kris!
Mom has some beautiful beads she’ll be selling in lots. If you’re interested please email me! Photos to come!