Clothing & Sneakers
- Bottoms: I typically wear Old Navy Active Compression Capris. I love that they stay in place and are just no fuss. Plus they’re reasonably priced and easy to find!
- Tops: On days when its not really hot, I typically just wear a ribbed cotton tank from Old Navy. I do have some better, athletic-wear tank tops with moisture wicking qualities, but none I like so much I can honestly recommend them to you.
- Sneakers: I wear ASICS Women’s Gel-Kayano 19 and have worn the Kayano’s since I started for the Breast Cancer 3 Day back in 2008. They have never failed me. That said, I highly recommend getting fitted for sneakers to see what works best for you.
- Socks: It took me a long time to find socks that worked for me. When I was training to walk 60 miles in 3 days, I needed socks that would prevent blisters. After many failed attempts, I finally found the Feetures! Light No Show Socks. They aren’t the cheapest socks, but I’ve had most of the ones still in my rotation for 6 years now, so I’d say I’ve gotten my money’s worth. They fit snugly to my feet which means there’s no movement or rubbing. They are nice and light and especially for shorter walks and runs I don’t have to worry about sweat. I wash and dry these normally and they’ve held up really well [affiliate link].
- App: I use the c25kfree app for iPhone. I can’t recommend this highly enough. I have literally gone from zero running to 28 minutes of running at a time in 8 weeks. To me, that’s the stuff of miracles!
- Armband: I bought the Mediabridge Sport Armband for iPhone 5/iPhone 5S from Amazon and while I was skeptical that I could like an armband, it’s worked really well for me. On days when it’s brutally hot, I switch arms half way through the run, but mostly it doesn’t bother me at all. It’s easily adjustable and could easily fit an arm much smaller or larger than mine [affiliate link].
Post Workout Tools
- Tiger Tail Rolling Muscle Massager: I bought the 22″ size a few months back after my mother’s personal trainer recommended it to her. I tried it during a weekend away, and when I got home, I logged on to Amazon and purchased it. I try to roll out my calves and quads before and after every run to lengthen the muscles and give them some overall love. When I do it consistently, in combination with traditional stretching, my body recovers much more quickly than when I skip these important steps [affiliate link].
- Then, a couple weeks later a package arrived from Amazon (courtesy of my awesome Mom) containing a Massage Mitt- Palm Shaped Massager w/ Rotating Rollers. This tool costs less than $7 and while I don’t believe a word of description regarding removing cellulite, it’s the most amazing massage tool I’ve ever tried. I rub this against my calves, particularly when I have some stubborn knots and those rotating ball bearing really get in and do the job! And if you can get someone to use this on you while you totally relax, the experience is even better [affiliate link].
I hope some of these will work for you! If they, do please come back and leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Or if you have recommendations for me- please share! I’m always looking for things to better my experience.
A note about Affiliate Links: if you choose to try out any of the products listed here and you click through my site, I get a small percentage from Amazon at no extra cost to you.